Monday, August 6, 2012

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND


My door bell rang late Saturday night.  I couldn't understand why someone would visit me so late.  So, I turned on my porch light and looked through my peep hole to realize it was Mike a friend of one of my best friends of 29 years.  As I opened the door and greeted him I noticed a solemn expression on his face.  I asked, "What's wrong?"  He said, "I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but Denny has died."

I broke down and sobbed uncontrollably as Mike could only stand there embracing me to provide me with some small measure of comfort.

I asked, "When, where, how?"  He explained to me that Denny's family had been trying to reach him with no success, so his father went to his house to investigate only to find him slumped over in a chair.  They believe he died last Thursday.  I learned yesterday that the autopsy report listed the cause of death to be a brain cyst. They also believe he died in his sleep and felt no pain.

The last time I saw Denny was in June and the last time I spoke with him was a few weeks ago.  I didn't know that it would be the last....  

Denny always visited me with gift in hand every Christmas and called me on my birthday and Valentine's Day of every year.  I guess what brings me a small measure of solace is that we would always end our conversations with, "I love you."

I don't know what I'll do without my friend.  My heart is breaking.  My soul, shattered.

Rest in peace my sweet Denny.  I will miss you dearly my friend.

I pray the good Lord will touch your family with His peace and love during this time of sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment